George Barnard Shaw said, “Youth is wasted on the young”. It may be difficult to understand in teens, but as you grow old you know what he was talking about. Perhaps no one appreciates a young, smooth and wrinkle free skin in 20s and 30s. But we miss it when we realize signs of aging on our skin. Fine lines and wrinkles are the most common and easily seen indicators of a mature age. They appear just like an uninvited guest and multiply without your approval.
Skin tightening helps reducing wrinkles and fine lines. Among all other treatments for skin tightening, lasers are often liked by practitioners and the patients. Laser skin resurfacing uses an infrared light and heats collagen beneath skin layers, thereby contracting skin and reducing wrinkles. Laser skin tightening can be done in conjunction with liposuction to reduce fat from cheeks and jaws.
Why laser skin tightening
- Laser skin tightening is non-invasive.
- The procedure poses only a slight discomfort to patients.
- It removes wrinkles and fine lines that give your face an unintended appearance.
- It gives youthful and fresh appearance.
- It does not give any downtime to patients.
- Laser skin tightening does not carry risks and complication that surgical treatments for skin tightening carry.
Suitability criteria for laser skin tightening
- You can benefit from laser for skin tightening if you have wrinkles and lines around eyes, mouth or on forehead and want to have quick results without painful surgery or downtime.
- You may not opt for a laser treatment if you have active acne or dark skin tone.
Types of laser used for laser skin tightening
There are two types of lasers that are most commonly used for skin tightening.
Co2 laser skin tightening: it does not only tighten skin but also reduces other skin issues like scars, warts, enlarged oil glands, sun burns, skin discoloration, brown spots and large skin pores.
The process is not painful, except you may feel some warmth on your skin. Advanced CO2 lasers use ultrapulse that are delivered in a scanning pattern to remove thin layers of skin with minimal heat being used. Skin may take 2 weeks to settle down completely.
Erbium laser resurfacing: Erbium laser removes mild and moderately deep fine lines and wrinkles from face, hands, neck and chest. It is specially designed so as to cause minimal burning of surrounding skin. Erbium laser has same set of risks and side effects; swelling, bruising and redness. Recovery from Erbium laser treatment is quicker than it is for CO2 laser treatment. Also it works on people with darker skin tone.
How well lasers do
The results of laser skin tightening depend upon multiple factors like
- Condition of skin
- Skin type
- Type of laser
- Skill set of your practitioner
- Post-treatment care
People with lighter skin tone and minimum sun exposure tend to show better results as compared to people who have darker skin tone and spend more time in direct sunlight.
Wrinkles that are formed due to aging process or a prolonged exposure to sun respond better to laser treatment. These wrinkles usually appear around the eyes or mouth.
Wrinkles that are formed due to repeated movements such as wrinkles that appear on forehead and on the sides of the nose are reduced with laser treatment. However, with the passage of time they may appear again.