As one of the body’s main internal organs, your child’s heart deserves the most special and utmost care from a well-educated and skilled individual. Meet the Pediatric Cardiologist, your child’s personal heart-care companion.
What is a Pediatric Cardiologist?
First, let us define these two terms: Pediatrics refers to the branch of medicine which specifically caters to the care of babies, children, and adolescents, or people below the age of 18 years old (UK). Meanwhile, Cardiology is a branch of internal medicine which aims to study and treat diseases of the heart and blood vessels.
With that said, a Pediatric Cardiologist specializes in helping young children who have problems with their hearts. Due to a number of differences between the structure of a child’s heart compared to an adult, Pediatric Cardiologist aims to diagnose and decide on a treatment plan for congenital heart diseases in kids, sometimes even before birth.
A Pediatric Cardiologist in Dubai receives extensive education and training. After four years of medical school, he/she must serve at least three years of residency in Pediatrics and get board-certified. After which, he/she must train for another three or more years for his subspecialty, which is Pediatric Cardiology.
What conditions does he/she usually look out for?
A Pediatric Cardiologist focuses on detecting congenital heart defects or heart abnormalities on children. Some of these may be diagnosed while still in the womb, while others show as the child grows.
He/She also assist patients with genetic syndromes usually linked with heart problems such as:
- Down’s Syndrome, or a condition where a child has a duplicate copy of his/her 21st chromosome, resulting in physical and mental development delays.
- Marfan Syndrome, or a condition affecting the body’s connective tissue and usually inherited.
- Turner Syndrome, or a condition on females wherein one of their sex chromosomes is missing.
- Williams Syndrome, or a condition often characterized with development delays and affects many parts of the body.
Apart from these, Pediatric Cardiologists look out for Arrhythmias, or the abnormality of the heart’s rhythm caused by electrical problems.
With the help of a well-trained Pediatric Cardiologist, your child will be given sufficient care and treatment to correct and/or prevent further damages to his/her body’s blood pumping organ.
What to expect when you are advised to visit a pediatric cardiologist?
If your Pediatrician has advised you to schedule a visit to a Pediatric Cardiologist, chances are, he/she has detected a condition that may or may not be caused by a problem with your child’s heart.
Some symptoms of heart diseases may be the following:
- Cyanosis or the discoloration of lips, skins, and fingers due to low oxygenation of blood
- Having trouble breathing
- Feeding difficulties
- Chest pain
- Delayed growth and development
- Lung infections and diseases
To check the condition of your child’s heart, a pediatric cardiologist will conduct tests. It may involve the following:
- Echocardiography, or most commonly known as Echo, is a non-invasive and painless procedure that allows doctors to evaluate the heart. It is a high-frequency wave test and usually lasts for 30 to 60 minutes.
- An Electrocardiogram or EKG measures the electrical activity of your heart and determines its rhythm and check for enlargement of the heart’s chambers. Like Echo, it is non-invasive and usually takes 5 to 10 minutes to finish.
- By taking pictures of the chest through X-Rays, the Cardiologist will be able to see the heart, lungs, and bones, giving him/her a clearer view of your condition.
- Stress test measures a person’s heart rate, blood pressure, and heart rhythm while using a treadmill or bicycle. The test takes 30 to 40 minutes.
Where can I find a good Pediatric Cardiologist?
In the heart of Healthcare City stands the German Heart Centre, a well-known Pediatric Cardiology Centre in Dubai, backed-up by outstanding recognition and built with high-quality standards.
To get the best service for your child, book an appointment with us today.