Hair loss is equally found in people of all ages and all geographical locations. However, you can see some difference in male hair loss pattern and female hair loss pattern. Men usually have a receding hairline and a bald patch on their crowns. As compared to men, women normally have an overall thinning of hair. There are only a few who carry this hair loss with respect and confidence. Others always try to hide it through wigs, toupees and hats.
Wigs, toupees and hats are not permanent solution for a bald scalp and most often they become annoying too. Here comes the need for hair transplant because it is the only procedure that can return you the hairs you once lost.
Hair transplant moves hair follicles from an area of dense hair growth to a bald patch. With the use of latest techniques now hair follicles can be extracted from any part of the body to plant them on a bald patch to re grow hair on scalp, eyebrow, eyelash, chest, moustache or beard.
Benefits of hair transplant
- It is the only procedure that gives permanent hairs.
- Hair transplant produces natural results.
- Modern techniques do not leave linear scars on treated area.
- Hair transplant can restore eyebrows, eyelashes, moustache, beard hair and chest hair.
- Transplanted hairs do not need extra maintenance.
- Hair transplant is a one time investment.
- It makes you look younger and boosts your confidence and self-esteem.
Hair transplant cost:
Hair transplant costs significantly lower in Pakistan as compared Europe and UAE. Factors like locale and repute of a surgeon, number of grafts needed to be transferred and the procedure involved determine hair transplant cost. However, a regular hair transplant costs between 100,000 to 300,000 in Pakistan. Some clinics offer reduced rates but they trade off the results.
Procedures of hair transplant
Strip harvesting: the surgeon removes a strip of hair from back of the scalp, extracts hair follicles from the strip and plants these follicles in the bald patch. It is an old technique of hair transplant and results in a long linear scar on the donor area.
Follicular unit extraction: It is relatively new technique and involves taking out of individual hair follicles usually from the side or the back of the scalp and planting them in the bald patch. FUE extracts hair follicles in their natural groupings of 1 to 4 hairs and is used to take hair grafts from any part of the body.
Follicular unit transplantation: It is a modern technique for hair transplant and plants hair in their naturally occurring groupings of 1 to 4 hairs. It creates hairlines most similar to natural hairlines. In FUT follicular units also contain sebaceous glands, nerves and a small muscle that together ensure the safety of the follicular unit.
Recovery period of hair transplant:
- Strip removal harvesting requires 7 days recovery period.
- FUE is a modern technique and is less invasive so it has a recovery period of 7 days. However, many patients go back to the work same day.
- No bed rest or hospitalization is required in hair transplant.
- You will have swelling on forehead and scalp for a few days. Let your surgeon know if it takes longer and becomes painful.
- Virtually all of the transplanted hair would fall out during the first 10 days after surgery, a process known as shock loss. New hair would appear and start to thicken within the next two to three months.