As the name suggests hair restoration refers to methods that are used to restore hair. Men and women who experience hair loss are often prescribed with medical or surgical hair restoration. Both methods have their own benefits and disadvantages. Let’s see what these methods are all about.
Medical hair restoration
It can be a good solution for people who want to treat their hair loss with medicines only. Usually, Minoxidil and/or Finasteride are prescribed to these patients. Minoxidil is the most widely used medicine which not only slows or stops hair loss but also initiates hair growth. It is an over-the-shelf topical solution that is applied to an area that needs hair growth.
Finasteride is an oral medicine that is used to treat light to mild hair loss. Like Minoxidil, it stops hair fall and starts hair growth. However, it is reported that it does not initiate hair growth in each case.
Pros and cons of medical hair restoration
- Medicines are the easiest treatment that regrows your hair. All you need to do is swallowing a tablet or applying a solution on your scalp and you are done.
- Minoxidil and Finasteride not only start hair regrowth but stop hair fall also.
Medicines always bear some side effects and so are true for Minoxidil and Finasteride.
- Usual side effects of Minoxidil include burning or irritation of eyes, itching, redness at the treated area and hair growth elsewhere on the body. The patient must consult a doctor if he/she experiences side effects like severe allergic reaction, chest pain, dizziness, difficulty in breathing, rapid heartbeat, sudden weight gain or swelling on hands and feet.
- Finasteride also causes some serious issues like impotence, cancer, anxiety, and depression. Women who are pregnant or may become pregnant in the future cannot be treated with Finasteride because it causes birth defects in the fetus. Women must not handle the broken tablets as well because the chemicals may penetrate through their skin. Side effects and complications that result from its use are lifelong and do not disappear even if you cease its use.
Surgical hair restoration
Hair transplant comes under surgical hair restoration. It is a minimally invasive surgery which entitles many benefits which make it an appreciated and admired method for hair loss issues. Hair transplant follows a simple procedure; it takes out hair follicles from an area of the head with normal or dense hair growth to an area with minimum or no hair density.
Pros and cons of surgical hair restoration
- Hair transplant is liked and appreciated because it gives you a permanent solution for your hair loss issues. Yes, transplanted hair never falls! Any hair fall after surgery is most likely from the untreated areas of the scalp.
- Hair transplant gives you natural results. No one can guess that you have developed your hair with a surgical procedure.
- It is a onetime expense.
- It can be used to grow hair on an area that does not have any hair in the past.
- You do not need expensive products or extra care to maintain transplanted hair. Rather, they stay quite fine with your normal hair care routine.
- Men and women both can have a hair transplant
- It costs you less in the long run.
A hair transplant is a safe procedure and usually does not produce any permanent side effects or complications. Some of the downsides of the procedure are
- A hair transplant does not stop hair fall.
- It is a surgery so, it offers all the disadvantages that surgery usually has like discomfort or pain, downtime, etc.
- You need to invest more time to find out a good surgeon for your surgery.
- It cannot be used for people who are completely bald.
Surgical hair restoration is supposed to be the best treatment for hair loss patients. Permanency in its results makes it an amazing solution. It reverses hair fall and makes you look youthful and complete. Have your hair done with hair transplant and bring a positive change in your personality!