Laser hair removal has proved to be a popular non-surgical and non-invasive cosmetic treatment to get rid of body hair. Other hair removing treatments like waxing, shaving and threading are just losing their significance as people are more inclined towards lasers.
Laser uses a low energy beam that goes through the surface of skin and is absorbed by the pigment in hair follicles, melanin. Hair follicles are damaged or disabled by laser and stop producing hair. The procedure may take from minutes to several hours depending on the area under treatment.
The ideal candidates
The ideal candidates for laser hair removal in Dubai are those who have fair skin complexion and black coarse hair. Although modern lasers can treat dark skin types, there are always higher possibilities of skin pigmentation.
The benefits of laser hair removal
- It is the only permanent hair reduction procedure.
- As the outer layers of skin remain intact, so it is a non-invasive procedure.
- It is very quick as compared to its alternatives like waxing, shaving and threading.
- It reduces number of ingrown hairs.
- It is 60 times faster, less painful and more reliable than its counterpart, electrolysis.
- It helps in healing of pilonidal cyst.
- It is minimally painful and can treat large body areas.
Potential complications and risks
- Pink skin, swelling, itching and redness around the treated area are common side effects but they are temporary and usually disappear within two to three days.
- Acne and skin discoloration are two common side effects that may pose a problem.
- The patient has to bear some pain. Although numbing creams are applied their application over large treatment area is itself risky.
- Other potential risks include hypo- and hyperpigmentation, scab formation, burning of skin, pupura, infection and swelling of hair follicles.
- Allergic reactions may occur.
Save yourself from complications and risks
- Always get a laser treatment in a professional sitting. Spas have never been good places for these cosmetic treatments.
- Carefully select a certified dermatologist or a plastic surgeon who will decide which laser is best for your skin tone and hair type. Selecting an unskilled and inexperienced practitioner means the probability of risks is increased.
Some statistics about laser hair removal
According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery the procedure was performed on more than 1 million in 2010 and is growing more popular among women.
According to cosmetic industry it is the most popular and sought after procedure for women under the age of 35, and it is second only to Botox for women above 35 years of age.
The results of a survey conducted by Calibre Medical Corporation show that 97 percent of women who have benefited from laser hair removal are satisfied with results. This is the highest percentage of satisfied users that any hair removing treatment has ever received.