My neighbor’s eight-year boy has little bags under his eyes. They are not caused by excess fat – of course – and look kind of cute. However, many people develop droopy eyelids and fat deposits under eyes with age. They do not look cute, but create a sad, tired, or sleepy look to their face. Blepharoplasty, also known as eyelid lift or eyelid lift surgery, can remove extra skin and fat from upper or lower eyelids making you look rested and alert.
What eyelid surgery can do for you?
- Upper eyelid surgery is performed on upper eyelid and can remove excess fatty deposits that create puffiness.
- It can correct loose or sagging skin that creates folds or disturbs the shape of the upper eyelid. It can also correct vision impairment due to drooping upper eyelid.
- Lower eyelid surgery can remove excess skin from the lower eyelid.
- It can also remove bags under the eyes.
Is eyelid lift surgery right for you?
It is right surgery for all adult men and women with healthy facial tissue and muscles, and realistic goals for improvement.
Who is a good candidate for eyelid surgery?
- Individuals who don’t have a serious disease or medical condition that can hamper healing process.
- People who do not smoke
- Individuals with realistic goals and positive outlook
Which condition you must tell your surgeon before the surgery?
- If you have any eye disease such as dry eye, glaucoma, or detached retina.
- Under or overactive thyroid
- High blood pressure, diabetes, or other cardiovascular diseases
What is the expected recovery period and what are recovery guidelines?
After the procedure, your surgeon may apply lubricating ointment and cold compresses. In some cases, your eyes may be covered with gauze. Your surgeon will give you instructions about caring your eyes, medication, and when to follow-up regarding surgery.
You may feel some swelling, irritation, bruising, or dry eyes, which can be controlled with medication, ointment, and cold compresses. You must take care to protect your eyes from sun until the healing is fully completed. Furthermore, if anything is unclear in your mind regarding surgery, don’t forget to ask it from your surgeon.
Don’t let these small problems stop you from enjoying your life to the fullest. Have eyelid surgery if you need it and live your life with “open eyes”.