Many people who start boxing want to know about sparring. They ask questions like what kind of boxing equipment do I need? When should I start sparring? Who to spar with? And how long should I spar? These are some of the most basic questions that everyone should know.
There is no definite answer to these questions because it all depends on person’s physical condition and how quickly he is able to learn.
In this article you will read about important boxing sparring tips for novice boxers.
- First of all before enter the ring with your sparring partner, make sure you have all the necessary boxing equipment, which includes 14-16 ounce boxing gloves, head guard, mouth guard, chest guard and groin guard. You should be wearing all these safety equipment in order to protect yourself from injuries.
- The most important tip is to spar at your level. If you are a beginner start slow and as you progress pace yourself. This might seems boring or un-attractive but this is how you will learn. Going slower will allow you to look at your technique and think. You can also read punches and movement of your sparring partner. The objective is not to hurt your opponent that is why you will be asked to throw lighter punches. When you spar at high intensity you don’t learn much except you will get tougher which is not the objective of sparring. Sparring is used mainly to learn things you don’t want to learn the hard way, which is during the actual fight.
- Another disadvantage of sparring at higher level is that it makes you very defensive and cautious and might also scare you from fighting. Reason for this is as your opponent is always two steps ahead. You will never know if you make a right move or not, even if you throw a perfect jab he punishes you. So in the end you don’t know what technique to follow and you end up being so defensive and coward in your approach.
- On the flip side, if you are stronger than your opponent then it is better to lay off your opponent a little bit. Let him box and challenge you, while it will give you an opportunity to learn new things and don’t just try to beat up the other guy.
- When you join a boxing gym, it is not advised to start sparring immediately. It is important that you first learn how to throw punches. This is done by heavy bag and speed bag workout.
Sparring is one of the best workouts, you learn more while sparring than with any other workout. It’s fun, exciting, and challenging, but if you haven’t sparred before, the tips given above will help you enormously.